Is my phone compatible? To find out, use the Ford mobile compatability tool.
Note: iPhones do not have to be paired via Bluetooth to work with Ford SYNC with AppLink. iPhone users must connect to SYNC's USB port with an Apple USB cable.
Your step-by-step guide:
1. Download an AppLink enabled app (e.g. Spotify) from the usual store to your iOS or Android smartphone.
2. Connect your smartphone to your car’s Ford SYNC with AppLink system via:
Bluetooth® (for Android devices) or USB cable (for Apple devices).
3. Select the app either from the ‘Mobile Apps’ menu, or or by pressing the ‘Voice’ button and saying the name of the app.
4. The app adds commands to Ford SYNC with AppLink and these can be accessed using your voice, or your car’s audio or steering wheel controls.
5. With Spotify, for example, you can select a playlist using SYNC’s voice recognition. Just say; “Choose Playlist”, say the name of that playlist and Spotify starts playing while also displaying the song info on SYNC’s display. In addition if you need Help at any time say “Spotify Help” and Ford SYNC will list out other possible voice commands available.
Just needs your permission:
To activate AppLink, you must accept a data consent screen that pops up the first time you try to use the system with any device.