We’re continually working on ways to reduce the environmental impact of our vehicles and operations. With a robust climate change strategy in place to guide us.
The strategy is based on what needs to happen in the world. For example, the stabilization of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Our contribution to achieving this stabilization is through fuel economy improvements, the use of alternative fuels and energy-efficiency improvements at our facilities.
More initiatives, more benefits
In addition, we’ve adopted a comprehensive water strategy. This corresponds to the key elements of the CEO Water Mandate.
Launched in July 2007 by the UN Secretary-General, this unique public-private initiative assists companies in the development, implementation, and disclosure of water sustainability policies and practices. The Mandate is based on five key platforms and is designed to effect substantial, sustainable and measurable impacts. For example, through the annual reporting of water usage.
Other programs and initiatives include:
• Strict Environmental Policy and Directives that apply to our operations globally.
• All Ford manufacturing facilities and product development functions are certified to ISO 14001, the leading global standard for managing environmental issues.
• Ford offers one of the broadest ranges of low-CO2
vehicles in Europe, our global vehicle line-up demonstrating our commitment to sustainability.
• Technologies like EcoBoost®
, direct injection of gasoline or diesel fuel, six-speed transmissions, ECOnetic, and hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains deliver choice to drivers everywhere.
• In 2015 we launched the new Ford Mondeo Hybrid, our first hybrid electric vehicle built and sold by Ford in Europe.
• We’ve also offered the Focus BEV all-electric vehicle in the region since 2013 and offer the C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid vehicle in several European markets.
• ECOnetic vehicles are ultra-low-CO2
versions of selected Ford diesel vehicles and utilize several advanced, fuel-saving technologies. We currently offer six ECOnetic vehicles: the Ford Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Transit Custom, Transit Connect, and, beginning in mid-2015 the C-MAX.
• We also offer liquefied petroleum gas (LPG, or propane autogas) versions of the Ford Fiesta, B-MAX, Focus, and C-MAX in markets where dedicated infrastructure exists. For example, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany and Turkey.
• In Europe, Ford has take-back and recycling networks for Ford brand vehicles in 19 EU markets, and participates in collective recycling systems in another 10. All Ford vehicles marketed in Europe are now certified as reaching recyclability of 85 percent and recoverability of 95 percent.
Mobile Air Conditioning operating with Refrigerant R134a:
In some of our models, the mobile air conditioning systems operates with refrigerant R134a. These models will transition to a refrigerant with low greenhouse gas potential within the following periods:
- Fiesta: July 2016
- B-MAX: August 2016
- EcoSport: June 2016
- Focus: August 2016
- C-MAX: August 2016
- Kuga: August 2016
- Mondeo; Galaxy; S-MAX: June 2016
- Transit & Tourneo Courier: August 2016
- Tourneo Connect: June 2016
- Transit, Transit Connect (M1 passenger car versions): June 2016
The following models are not concerned by the transition and their Mobile Air Conditioning will continue to operate with R134a: Focus Electric (until end 2016), Ranger, Transit, Transit Custom und Transit Connect (M2 Passenger Car and all Van versions).
The Mobile Air Conditioning of all remaining Ford models already today operates with a refrigerant with low greenhouse gas potential.